Day three was the day I had to get on top of the laser cutting. This requires making the guide files with the well-endowed and open-source Inkscape. Unfortunately, I have (almost) never used Inkscape. John Moseley at Access Space gave me a brief crash course, but on day three I was on my own to get the cutting files ready so that the top section can be cut and assembled to my deadline of Friday 5pm.
Also, despite getting more junk today, it’s nowhere near enough to make even a small pyramid, so day four looks lie it will be a desperate, skip-raiding scroungeathon.
With lots of visitors today, It took me most of the day to work out the basics and didn’t get anything finished until after 4pm.
It’s a very fiddly process and I rarely work in 3D so it took so careful thinking about in order to conceive how it would fit together. John Moseley made a very elegant prototype, and I was going to try to reproduce his version just for the practice, but I was running out of time so I decided to vary the method in order to make things simpler for myself.
John’s design comprised three different sections whereas I have attempted to make a single asymmetric face that will jigsaw into each other, with a row of pegs on the bottom of each to slot into a square base.
Anyway, it got late in the day and there was a bit of a queue for the laser cutter so it didn’t get cut on day three. Fingers crossed for the last day.
However, as it was 31st October, I decided to clear the space and install something temporary and appropriate to the date. So here is my little ancient-Egyptian-art-world-halloween-market-rigging-in-joke. Offers invited.